Many people want to know what the best credit card for them to use is. We have gone ahead and reviewed some of the top cards in the industry, and we’ve found many people enjoy the excellent benefits presented by Citibank. Let’s say you like to travel a lot. Well, Citibank offers some great international coverage to its loyal customers. But enough about that, let’s dive into the real information and let you decide for yourself if Citibank credit cards are right for you!
Citibank Credit Cards
Citibank is known around the world for their excellent service. The amazing rewards program lets you earn rewards as you go. Every purchase you make will result in returns to your wallet! Avoid interest with the incredibly lenient 0% APR they offer, and no matter what level credit you have they have a card you can apply for. On top of being able to build your credit, you have the added bonus of rental car insurance, purchase protection plans, and extended warranties.
Citi has been partnered with Visa and Mastercard for years, so their cards operate on both networks. While there have been plans to create an independent network, they are far from fruition. Big time shoppers will also enjoy the exclusive store credit that Citi offers. Retailers like Bloomingdales, Best Buy, Staples, and Shell are just a few of the partners in this program.
Holders of a Citi credit card at any level have access to features like:
- Cash Back
- 0% APR
- Fair Credit
- Limited Credit
- Balance Transfer
- Travel and Dining
Citibank has been around since 1812. Since their beginning, they have prided themselves in offering their customers the best mortgages, personal loans, commercial loans, lines of credit, and credit cards.
Application and Rates
The application process for a Citibank credit card is fairly simple. General consumers can check their credit scores and find out what level they qualify for in just a few minutes. Many people have found that Citi offers the exact level they need, and it is easy for them to get accepted. Once you fill out the quick online application, you will be notified of your status, and you will receive your card in the mail within 5-7 business days.
The low rates on Citi cards are unprecedented, and many consumers enjoy this simply because it is difficult to find a good credit card that does not overcharge you. Other credit card companies are known to charge rates of at least 24%. That’s outrageous! People with families, college students, and traveling entrepreneurs need a card they can count on to be there when they need it. Citibank offers this coverage at the lowest rates on the market.
How They Compare
We picked a couple of similar products available on the market to see how they compare.
- Citi Simplicity(R) Card – No Late Fees Ever
- Citi(R) Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
- Citi ThankYou(R) Preferred Card
- Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) Platinum Select(R) World Elite(TM) Mastercard(R)
We compiled this list based off of the most popular customer opinions and market data. Check out the reviews below.
Citi Simplicity(R) Card – No Late Fees Ever
This credit card is the best option for students and people who are trying to establish a better credit history.
Annual Fee — The purchase introduction APR for this card is 0% for 18 months. That is really an unbeatable rate. The transfer intro APR is the same 0% for 18 months. For those unable to qualify for the intro rates, the regular APR is 15.74% – 25.74% variable. This card doesn’t have an annual fee, so we’re giving it 5 stars on the price.
Citi(R) Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
Another great option for families, this credit card offers some unique characteristics that the others are lacking.
- Annual Fee – There is no purchase intro APR offered on this card; however, the transfer introduction APR is 0% for 18 months, with a minimum of $5 and a fee of 3%. The regular APR is 15.24% – 25.24% variable. There is no annual fee for this card, so we gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
- Rewards Rate – Owners of this credit card will receive 2% cash back on every purchase. This comes in handy for those long days when you need extra gas money, or when you plan on making a large purchase. Cardholders will love the ability to make money by spending money. We gave this card 5 out of 5 stars on reward rate.
- Minimum Credit – As long as you have a “Good” credit rating, you will qualify for this card. The application process is easy, and if you have any doubts concerning your credit score, you can do a free online credit check before applying to get approved. We gave this credit card 4 out of 5 stars.
- Rewards Bonus – This particular card does not contain a reward bonus for its owners. The regular rewards rate seem to keep owners happy, but for the sake of rating, we will give it the default 1 out of 5 stars.
- Fraud Safety – Citibank’s fraud department has dealt with all types of cases. When you find that someone has stolen your identity, or your credit has fraudulent charges on it, the first step you will want to take is documenting everything and calling the Identity Theft Solutions hotline. They have saved many customers from financial ruin. We recommend their protection with 5 out of 5 stars.
Pros & Cons
Citi ThankYou(R) Preferred Card
This credit card is great for entrepreneurs and established workers with excellent credit. The rewards are enticing, and the status offers some leniency that the other cards offered by Citibank do not have.
- Annual Fee – Citibank’s Preferred credit card has excellent rates. The purchase intro APR is 0% for 15 months and the transfer intro APR is also 0% for 15 months. Customers who stick with Citibank love these consistently low rates. The regular APR is 15.24% – 25.24% variable, determined by your credit rating. The $0 annual fee gives us the bright picture of what it means for Citibank to really help out. It gets 5 out of 5 stars.
- Rewards Rate – The rewards rate on this card is pretty straightforward. For every dollar you spend, you will receive 1-2 points in return. They reimburse you double the points of everything you purchase, it’s amazing! We find many users who like this feature since it makes it easy to make large purchases and know you’re getting rewarded for it. Easily 5 out of 5 stars.
- Minimum Credit – In order to qualify as a preferred customer, one must have “Excellent” credit. While this may not be easy for some card owners, Citibank makes it extremely possible to quickly work your way up to this status. They have tools and options for various credit ratings that will help you achieve preferred status. Once you do, you’ll qualify for this outstanding credit card which we gave 5 out of 5 stars!
- Rewards Bonus – Even though the preferred customers receive much better rewards incentives, there is no rewards bonus. For this reason, we have to give it the standard rating of 1 out of 5 stars.
- Fraud Safety – Preferred customers enjoy full security from Citibank fraud protection. You have the option to monitor your account online and set up text message alerts for suspicious activity. Ease, convenience, and safety make this card a 5 out of 5 stars in safety.
Pros & Cons
Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) Platinum Select(R) World Elite(TM) Mastercard(R)
This is the best credit card for anyone who plans on traveling. International protection and bonus flight miles are just some of the benefits this card offers.
- Annual Fee – There is no annual fee for the first year after signing up, but customers will incur a $99 fee for every year thereafter. There is no intro purchase APR, nor is there transfer intro APR. The regular APR is 17.74% – 25.74% variable depending on a customer’s credit. The simple options laid out by the Advantage Platinum Select card make it 3 out of 5 stars.
- Rewards Rate – Customers who travel will love the rewards system in place. You will receive 1-2 miles for every dollar spent on this Citibank credit card. That means you never have to stop shopping and you can keep on flying! The miles add up quick, so it’s the perfect option for travelers. 5 out of 5 stars in rewards rating.
- Minimum Credit – Customers wanting to apply for this credit card will be happy to know that they don’t need stellar credit to qualify. A “Good” credit rating is enough to get this card in your hands and start traveling. 5 out of 5 stars for easy accessibility.
- Rewards Bonus – If all of that wasn’t enough, once you qualify for this Citibank credit card you automatically receive 60,000 bonus miles to use whenever you want. It really is a traveler’s dream! We had to give this card a 5 out of 5 stars for all the wanderlusts in our office!
- Fraud Safety – If your card gets lost or stolen while you’re out enjoying your travels, you can rest easy by calling Citibank’s helpful fraud department. They will cancel your card and take care of any fraudulent charges you may have incurred. They’ll even send you a new card in the mail. 5 out of 5 stars for that safety blanket.
Pros & Cons
After some heavy studying and consideration, we like to give Citibank credit cards an overall rating of 4 out of 5 stars. They are perfect for people at every level of credit and every walk of life. If you like to travel, there are some really great options. Plus, the fraud department is rated as one of the best out of any credit company, assisting thousands of customers every day. Citibank is, hands down, a 5-star credit company.